Thursday 13 November 2008

The matching pouch

With my leftover fabric from the Weekender Bag, I made a matching Straight Sided Triangular Cosmetic Bag using this tutorial.



The tutorial was great (I really appreciate the people who take the time to tutorialize their creations!) but I would suggest a small modification for future versions. I found that the raw edges of the zipper were exposed on the inside due the addition of the exterior fabric squares (which does look great from the outside). See what I mean here:


Yes, I admit a bit picky, but I felt the need to cover these raw ends of the zipper. In this case I hand stitched a little patch over the ends.



For future pouches, it would be simple to add a square of the lining material to ends of the zipper at the same time as squares of exterior fabric.

I also referred to twelve22's zip pouch tutorial for additional zipper installation confidence boosting (her tip that you fold the zipper toward the lining when sewing the side seams was very helpful - but probably makes no sense unless you are actually making a pouch!).

Oh, and I also added little loops in the side seam - I like having something to hang onto while zipping!

No comments: